Wednesday, May 1, 2013

The Writer's Voice Competition: Query and First 250



Dear "Writer's Voice" Friends,


Natalie’s senior class trip to England begins with a bang when she pees on a 747 in front of her entire class. What’s worse is that no one noticed, proving how invisible she is to the classmates that have called her Hannibal since freshman year, all thanks to a wired-shut jaw.


Four years of being teased and ignored has pushed Natalie into the shadows. But it's a cryptic message the morning of the flight that reminds her that her life is pure crap and it’s up to her to change.          


With high school seemingly transported to England, Natalie clings to her best friend, Krista, for support. But when Krista is lured to the dark side by a hard muscled football stud, Natalie all but packs up her bags to leave.


Enter Brant, a kaleidoscope-eyed Beatles fanatic who has far too much charm and even more demons in his own closet. And even though he’s 100% unavailable, he's possibly the one person who will take the high school politics out of her life, and give her the confidence to stand up against the people who shriveled her into a wallflower.


My young adult, contemporary novel, HERE COMES THE SUN, is complete at 66,000 words. It was recently chosen as a finalist for the Bakers Dozen competition at Miss Snark’s First Victim blog.


I have had one short story published in a multilingual publication during my tenure at Benedictine University, where I majored in Writing and Publishing with minors in Film Studies and Communication Arts.


Thank you for your time and consideration. I hope I'll have the opportunity to share the completed manuscript with you soon.

First 250:


I’m sitting outside my gate at O’Hare Airport mentally preparing for my senior class trip to England. The optimistic side of me expects to meet Prince Harry, have tea with the Queen, shop at Harrods and make a Beefeater giggle.
The pessimistic side of me remembers who my companions are for the trip; my classmates. To say that our relationship is unstable is stretching the truth. Our relationship is one big ball of toxic.
            Last night while I packed, my mom sat down on my bed and tapped the spot next to her, beckoning for some company. I threw my yoga pants into my suitcase and joined her, ignoring the scowl she threw towards my wardrobe.
My mom is an older version of myself in pretty much every way. We both generally tie our unruly hair back in a ponytail. Our blue eyes have never needed glasses. And we’re pale until the summer sun brings us a tan. How are we different? My mom can talk non-stop to anyone who will listen, while I prefer to just listen.
And tonight she wanted to talk.
She immediately laid in on me about my clothing choices. Yoga pants? Really? I wasn’t a bum. And did I remember to place my shampoo in a plastic bag, just in case the pressure makes it explode? And don’t I want to bring an extra set of clothing with me in my carry-on to freshen up when I arrive at Manchester Airport? It took all my strength not to roll my eyes. But yoga pants are comfy. Yes, my shampoo is locked away in a plastic bag. And I don’t have any more room in my carry-on for clothes.




16 comments:

  1. Query reads really strong and I like the voice. Excellent job. Good luck in the contest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trips to England seem to be the common theme of this contest! And I can't say I might, because this, too, sounds amazing. Good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the voice in this, and - yay! - England! Us English have all had tea with the Queen. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great query! Good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was emotionally engaged with your MC from the first paragraph. I want to see her grow and find her voice. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the new query and the revised opening scene! This is an awesome story and any coach would be lucky to have you on their team. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  7. I really love that title!!! And I can relate to the MC! (: I wish both of you good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! Your query and opening sound awesome. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I already really like the voice of the narrator in this piece and want to know more about her life. The query confused me a bit because I wasn't sure what the main conflict was for her since it veers off into a couple different directions. What happens with the cryptic note she receives? Did she have her friend before the trip or solely lose her after? What is at stake for the protagonist and why would she pee on the plane especially if she's in high school? I think if some of these things are clearer in the pitch it'll give me a better idea of what to look for in the grand scope.

    But again great voice for the narrative and I am very intrigued as to her story and her relationship with her mom and others.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoyed the first 250 and engaged with your MC right away. Best of luck to you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Totally sucked in by the narrative. Don't we all remember Mom lectures! Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OOOO! England. Love the concept of a class trip to England, I can totally already tell that the change of setting is going to help your MC break free of the ideas and assumptions her classmates have put on her.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You had me at Manic Pixie Dream Boy who's obsessed with the Beatles. Yes please! I think your query could be tightened a bit, but the premise is golden. It sucked me right in. Fingers crossed for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loved the first 250 words a lot, they were awesome. I did think the query danced around a little, but it got the point across, and had me wanting to read, so that's a good thing. Good luck, this is great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah, I really want to hear more about this Brant guy! Good luck in the contest!

    ReplyDelete